Thread: Houdini 9 and mental ray

Default Houdini 9 and mental ray

Hey, I just saw that Houdini 9 has mental ray in its UI. It doesn't come with Houdini, as it requires mr standalone to work. But, in a sense, this could follow standalone features more transparently.

Has anyone tried this yet?
    Barton Gawboy

Default Re: Houdini 9 and mental ray

Houdini 8 included limited mental ray functionality in its UI as well. Is there something new/different about version 9?

hi!

I tried, but could not get it work, we have here couple of XSI licences, so i wanted to use the standalone from there. ray.exe was in path, also set up MI_ROOT to soft/application/rsrc for shader libraries, altough in houdini there are all the shaders from standard mr libraries. It did not work, houdini always missed the base.dll library.
    Also I installed with proto_install the mi_mplay, to be able to render to mplay.

i hope someone figures this out, there are no entries in the docs.
    Altough mantra rocks, i just wanted to trry out a familiar render engine with H9.

Hi. I'm a developer for Houdini working on the .mi interface.

The H9 interface might be a little rough around the edges and I'd really appreciate any feedback you might have on it.

To get the shaders to link properly, I had to create a .rayrc file in my home directory. I just copied the contents of the ray3rc file (or rayrc) from the distribution into the .rayrc file. I'm not sure why the ray3rc file wasn't being picked up automatically by the stand-alone though...

Oh H9 generates .mi files using Python scripts. So, it's possible to see what's going on and even to customize the .mi file generation if you need to. This is different than the H8 implementation which was all C++.

I've been working on a project here at Framestore NY where we've been exporting metaball meshes from Houdini 8 to MI files and then lighting them in Maya by using custom text replacement and rendering in mental ray standalone. The process works except for some issues with the way Houdini names objects in the MI (using the full path with forward slashes), Maya can't name things this way so we have to parse the files and rename the objects to a Maya-friendly name. The other issue I noticed is that you need bounding box info to work with placeholders, some way of getting this exported would be nice as well... it's good to know it's all done with Python now, sounds like it should be easier to do what we want with it. Crunch, would it be helpful to start a wishlist thread in this forum?

--jon