Thread: Area light settings

Default Area light settings

Hi guys, I little question about area light settings. In maya there is a way to set the samples of the shadows ray. "High samples" define how many samples are taken in account to smooth the shadows. "High samples limit" set the limit in reflection and refraction. Low samples means that when "high samples limit" is reached the "low samples are" calculated.
    So i can obtain a very smooth shadow for an object but a ugly reflection of this shadow (getting a boost in render time).
    There is a similar attribute in XSI?

No unfortunately.
    Xsi is using the default low sample ( 1 ). Ask autodesk/Softimage to make it visible.

Thx Saturn for the reply. These are the things that i don't understand...
    How to ask them to let this visible? I'm new on segnaling bugs and similar!

The best is to ask to support@softimage.com
    Halfdan is a head of the rendering departement for XSI. So you should talk to him on softimage mailing list.
    Last edited by bart; May 5th, 2009 at 22:22.

Thanks Saturn, wrote to support.

Default same problem

Hello Gabba.

please let me know if u got an answer from support about this issue. i´m having the same problem and i need a solution for that.

thanks.

I asked support if there is any chance to get this working like Maya and they told my that they included my request in a sort of "wishlist" and keep it in mind for the next releases...

Default thank you

Thanks GABBA

Let´s wait for the next realeases... hope they really keep it in mind.

i've got this issue since a lot of time, sadly there is nothing to do, you cant render glass with area lights, because it produces a noisy pattern on the surface, same goes with portal lights, and reflection, basically you cant use reflection + area shadows and this is really annyoing...

i hope they fix this soon..

in 2010 this problem should be solved but unlukily the new feature doesn't work (very useful, a new feature that doesn't work at all ). The only thing we can do (waiting the SP) is using progressive rendering that can be enabled via ctrl.ghost. using crtl.ghost set the area light sampling to 1 and hit render (after all the parameter are setted as well).