Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maya 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and mental ray iray

oua! help here please... fully get it

We CAN render from within maya with iray or not?

i pasted the code, hitted render and the scene went black, with cone lights and mia materials...
    Is this a common/ "workable" error or its just possible to render with iray with the stand alone version of MR? (and thats why im not gettin anything).

cheers folks!

You can render from Maya to iRay internally if you have the correct library files. This means you would have to own something with the files like Max or Standalone. But as outlined in the beginning of this post, it will require some settings to be changed and the use of specific materials (mia_material) to be sure it renders

I occasionally get black renders and I want to say an Nvidia driver was to blame, I switched to the CUDA dev drivers and it began to render for me. This may have changed since 2011.
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."

I am trying to get iray to work and thus far have had no success.

Here is my scene:

One sphere on a flat plane. One area light with 'use light shape' and 'visible' checked. Raytrace shadows enabled.

One mia_material_x shader applied to both objects. 'Multiple outputs' disabled.

mia_exposure photographic attached to camera. settings i used make it render nicely in mental ray.

in iray all i get is a black image with reflection of my area light in the sphere and floor.

I have used the settings steve recommended in this thread for my iray and progressive string options:

iray and progressive booleans turned on.
    max time = 10
    max samples = 1000
    error threshold = 0.01

i am using the enjoyMentalRayStringOptions script to control these string options settings so the syntax used in that script is the syntax i am using for my string options.

i am using maya 2012 and have the 3 files in my bin folder for maya.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

**EDIT**

I got the problem solved. Bizarre solution, but solved none-the-less.

Thanks,

Justin
    Last edited by JJJenkins; September 11th, 2011 at 21:47. Reason: problem solved

regarding :Common Light Sources (ambient, directional, point, spot)

Maya light sources with high intensity values
    Maya light sources with custom light shader physical_light

What's the difference in how iray calculates physical light versus standard lightsource?
    thanks,
    Robert

Default Iray in Maya 2012 and Bump2DNode

Hi Steve,

is it possible to use Bump maps / Normal maps with iray? In your first post in this thread i understood that you can use bump2D Nodes in Maya with Iray (putting it in the overall Bump slot from the Mia Material (x ?)) But i cant get bump work in my renderings. Iray say it cant translate the bump2DNode (or something similar..).

Maybe you can give me some advice

Thx

DerGerät

Lightbulb bump mapping

Hallo DerGerät,

it is possible to use bump mapping with the Maya bump2d/bump3d nodes, but it's limited because the parameters for tuning the effect are ignored like bump depth. Also, the Maya placement2d/placement3d nodes are not supported, so you would need to manipulate UV coordinates directly to achieve scaling and tiling of the texture.

Normal-mapping is supported in iray but not through Maya nodes, currently.

Here is an example image using a bump2d with a file texture as input to a mia_material, left sphere using displacement and right one using bump2d.

I attach the Maya scene as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by steve; February 21st, 2012 at 12:32. Reason: wording

The directory structure for Maya 2013 has changed and I'm having a hard time figuring out where to put the correct files. Process of elimination hasn't helped. It renders with Progressive with iray "on" but does not render with iray itself. I do not get warnings or errors.

Maybe a little update here with how that works as well as anything that might be newly supported from Maya 2013 would be great!
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."

Hiya,

Getting this going again for Maya 2014 but have a question...

What version cudart##_##_##.dll are you using? I have gotten it to work using cudart64_40_12.dll from my 3ds Max Design 2014 installation but Softimage 2014 ships with cudart64_40_17.dll and cudart64_42_9.dll. I might be overthinking this but I wanted to make sure as I had heard previously that the cudart64_40_17.dll was the one to use. Thanks!

-Nick

hey guys

how it's looking with colormanagement? is it possible to use the maya color management or do i have to manually set the gamma correction for each texture in photoshop to get a nice render? how is iray handle that?

Marco

iray in Maya ignores the Maya utility nodes. Correct them before using them.

You might try [0x1] iray for Maya, it takes care of so many issues by integrating it