Thread: MM SE 1.1: Lights parameters don't show in Maya

Default MM SE 1.1: Lights parameters don't show in Maya

Hello Mental Images,

We recieved our Free MM SE 1.1 update yesterday. Thank you!

The first thing I did after reading about the new features in the documentation was to try and export one of your included sample projects as a .cgfx to Maya. It seems that light parameters are still missing in Maya. Is this an issue that has been resolved? Am I doing something wrong?

I had a thread going about this before when 1.1 was in Beta phase and Ruediger told me it was filed as a bug. Is this bug still present in this release?

http://forum.mentalimages.com/showthread.php?t=6543

Quote Originally Posted by ruediger View Post
    Hi Kogi,

after taking a closer look in the exported code it turned out to be a bug and has been logged under the bug number 8459. What happens is that the exporter is hardcoding the values for the light parameters in the shader. This is of course not desired, thus we hope to fix that as soon as possible.

Thank you for reporting that,

Best Regards,
    Ruediger
    Thank you for looking in to this.

So.... anyone else notice this? Anyone confirm this?

I find it quite devastating since my main usage of Mental Mill at the moment is to create realtime-cgfx shaders for Maya. I definately need to be able to alter light parameters for these shaders to be of any use.

Thanks.

Still wanting to know.

Hi Kogi,

This turned out to be a bug not only in CgFX, but also HLSL shaders.

Fortunately, it is limited to Material definitions only. In this case, the light color and intensity parameters are baked instead of exposed. (Light position was not affected.) The workaround for now is to build Phenomena instead when exporting to CgFX or HLSL. (Since GPU-based formats are only using surface shaders, you won't lose any quality. Materials with BSDFs are more relevant to physically accurate renderers.)

Export of Material shaders has been fixed in our most recent internal build, and we will likely be posting an update to the website following our QA cycle. (Thanks for the original report and sorry to keep you waiting!)

Regards,
    David Marks

Ahh, I see.

So if I'm not using the nodes under "Material Presets" which should I be using?

I tried the "Illumination Components -> Surface Component" which seemed to be what I was looking for. But it doesn't seem to get any lighting from either the default light or any other lights I place in my scene.

In MM 1.0 I'd usually use the Component Phong or something similar, but I cannot find it in MM 1.1.

Thank you for your reply, and sorry for being impatient.

Hi Kogi,

Please understand that I don't mean to downplay the importance of Material definitions. This improved illumination (BSDF) model is definitely the way we intend folks to use mental mill. A fix is in the works, but since it will take a little while for us to finish testing an update, this workaround will at least get you going for now.

If you search with the Shader Manager, you can find the old Component and Illumination nodes you would have used in 1.0. Type "component" or "illumination" and the search results will list several nodes that you can drag into graph view. (These are deprecated, so they aren't listed in the Toolbox, but they are still available for your shader graphs.)

(FYI, the Surface_components node you mentioned serves a special purpose within a Material. It extracts the direct and indirect illumination from a Material's BSDF for use in other surface shading calculations.)

I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to drop me another note if you need additional assistance.

- Dave

Thanks David,

Good to know about the deprecated nodes still being available.

I'm going to hold a Shader course for my students in around 4 weeks and I'm still only familiar with MM 1.0 myself. I will probably have to let them use MM 1.0 since I would need to get familiar with MM 1.1 myself first and also need the light parameters to work in Maya before I propagate this to the students.

I don't see this as a big issue though. Using MM 1.0 is still valid for learning the basics of shader authoring.