Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Point-based shaders

@Remydrh
    This shader is really shaping up nicely.. with all those wonderful features that you have stated this shader is a definite upgrade for mentalray.. Thanks to Max really !
    My processor has 8 threads and while baking ideally its utilizing only 4 thread ...
    I'll confirm that with a render log however they are utilized to 100 %
    Probably my cities average temp is around 30 deg C and the unutilized core temp is around 46 deg C
    so ideally the temperatures seem to be fine considering the ambience temp is high..

I'll post that render log.. but just wanted to know is the shader designed for 4 threads multi threading ?

Hello again,
    I make same tests in Softimage... Is it true that I cant animate the Object that include the Point Cloud? For example: Im make a 360° rotation animation. On 0° I generate the cloud and after I render the 180° position, I get a wrong rendering, the cloud space come from the file and the and the render object get this 0° projection.

When I rotate the camera over the object the rendering is correctly.

Edit: I think motion blur also work not correct.
    Last edited by jb_alvarado; September 12th, 2010 at 12:36.

Quote Originally Posted by jb_alvarado View Post
    Hello again,
    I make same tests in Softimage... Is it true that I cant animate the Object that include the Point Cloud? For example: Im make a 360° rotation animation. On 0° I generate the cloud and after I render the 180° position, I get a wrong rendering, the cloud space come from the file and the and the render object get this 0° projection.

When I rotate the camera over the object the rendering is correctly.

Edit: I think motion blur also work not correct.
    hi jb_alvarado

By default only a frame of point clouds are generated
    the shader works right on that aspect
    you want to render an animated pointcloud
    then probably you will have to write a mel script
    and then a pre render mel to replace the point cloud file per frame

Hello sus_gr8,
    thank you, for your replay! I think its not relay a animated Point Cloud animation. Only the bounding box is animated, not the geometry.
    For my test it is not so important, here I also can animate the camera. I will show you later the clip, then you see what I mean with the motion blur. Perhaps my presumption can also be wrong .

Hello sus_gr8,
    thank you, for your replay! I think its not relay a animated Point Cloud animation. Only the bounding box is animated, not the geometry.
    For my test it is not so important, here I also can animate the camera. I will show you later the clip, then you see what I mean with the motion blur. Perhaps my presumption can also be wrong .
    Yah i think visuals will anytime work
    i guess as long as your objects are not moving a static point cloud will work
    so camera movements are not an issue
    but i think its a completely different story if baked objects are animated
    because they will be out of the bb once they move around
    i guess for that you may have to generate the ptcs for each animated frame.

Animated objects will need a point cloud per frame.

Static objects should be ok with one baked cloud for the animation.

I'm curious about the motion blur, it should be unaffected.
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."

Yes I understand that animated Object need Point Clouds per frame. But before my idea was, that I need only 1 pcloud file, when I rotate the object.

Yesterday I render same Images with mb, and now I think they works correctly, in 1 or 2 pictures the mb looks a bit confuse...

Sorry that I have so many questions...:
    Is it true that mr need more time to bake a cloud with subdivs, then with displacement?

Edit:

Here my first test, with motion blur: http://www.vimeo.com/14939155
    Last edited by jb_alvarado; September 14th, 2010 at 08:35.

Yes I understand that animated Object need Point Clouds per frame. But before my idea was, that I need only 1 pcloud file, when I rotate the object.

Yesterday I render same Images with mb, and now I think they works correctly, in 1 or 2 pictures the mb looks a bit confuse...

Sorry that I have so many questions...:
    Is it true that mr need more time to bake a cloud with subdivs, then with displacement?

Edit:

Here my first test, with motion blur: http://www.vimeo.com/14939155
    @ jb in vimeo link you have stated that Rendertime without baking ~32 second per frame.
    what are the render times with baking ?

I only bake the first frame, but I don't capture the time for this. I think it was ~50min. At the moment I have a bit problems to get a good balance from the displacement details to the baking time.

I'm having some unfun with getting occlusion to work. Is there a test file for that?

Also, is it a major pain to also include reflection occlusion? I don't really need glossy. . .yet.

(I'm a pushy broad aren't I?)
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."