Thread: Render to texture diffuse element coming out too dark

Default Render to texture diffuse element coming out too dark

I'm using 3ds max materials to "paint" texture maps and AO for a game I'm working on. My goal is that the RTT output for the diffuse channel matches the same values as the textures I'm using as inputs. However, when I render the diffuse element out, it's quite a bit darker than the input texture. I'm not using the "lighting" or "shadows" check boxes on the RTT diffuse element options.

I suspect this might have something to do with RTT not doing part of the gamma transformation. My Max gamma settings are to use gamma correction at 2.2, and to have input/output maps and material swatches be corrected. The save output for my RTT images are TGA with "use system defaults" (2.2) I tried saving as TIF, since I know that format can take profiles, and I've tried using custom gamma with the TIF output. It has not changed the way I see my images in Photoshop (sRGB working space). I think it's possible that the RTT process isn't saving out the image properly, or something like that.

My next steps are to inset gamma changes in the shaders, but that's a pain and not a process I'd like to do long term (even if it does work). Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

-Aubrey
    -Aubrey Pullman
    rendermack.com

I was able to get the right values from my diffuse output by putting a gamma and gain map as the master map of all my bitmaps. I set it to 2.2 and told it NOT to reverse the gamma correction. The other way that's somewhat simpler is to DISABLE gamma correction for Max during rendering. Changing the output gamma in the gamma settings didn't seem to help the rendering. There may be an issue with RTT output files not holding on to their gamma settings.
    -Aubrey Pullman
    rendermack.com

I have the same problem and I am very glad to find the answer here.
    It really helps me! Thanks a lot!