Thread: Does it make sense to buy Mental Mill standalone standard edition to expedite materia

Default Does it make sense to buy Mental Mill standalone standard edition to expedite materia

Hi,

I just started using 3Dmax and I was wondering does it make sense to purchase Mental Mill standalone standard edition as a more efficient means in creating materials for 3Dmax projects?

Does the program also work with windows 7 64 bit? I am not sure if the website is up to date since Nvidia bought it? I called them earlier and they could not answer many questions about Mental Mill?

Someone said that Mental Mill comes free with 3Dmax 2012, and I don't know how to get the latest version of the standard edition of Mental Mill?

Thanks,
    vanitycat

If you have 3ds Max 2012 you can install mental mill. I haven't followed this in detail, but as far as i know Autodesk provides a download for mental mill. You can then install it on your system and use it for shader creation in 3ds max.

mental mill will also work on windows 7 64 bit.

If you are into shader customization and building more sophisticated shaders, mental mill is the right tool for you. It allows you to create arbitrary materials and wrap them as one single Phenomenon which you can export to 3ds Max using the exporter that is provided with mental mill.
    Also, it is possible to write your own custom shader in MetaSL (something that you can't do in any other application) and export it for usage in 3ds Max as well.

I hope that helped,
    Best Regards,
    RĂ¼diger