Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: iray Matte Objects

Is there any good tutorials on how to use matte objects correctly? Will matte objects be included in SP1 of 3ds Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Tengiz View Post
    Thanks, but it does not work correctly in 3ds Max 2013...
    Could you elaborate? I'm sure I could help you out.

daniel
    iray dev

Quote Originally Posted by dlevesque View Post
    Could you elaborate? I'm sure I could help you out.

daniel
    iray dev
    I use Matte Object with the script Hemisphere enviroment.
    The only difference is that I wrote "Enviroment dome mode" "Sphere" instead of "Enviroment dome mode" "Hemisphere" in the settings of the script.
    As a result, Matte Object doesn't work.

I attach Test scene. It would be great if you could say me, what is wrong, and give some advise what I should change to make it work properly.

test_scene.zip

I use Matte Object with the script Hemisphere enviroment.
    The only difference is that I wrote "Enviroment dome mode" "Sphere" instead of "Enviroment dome mode" "Hemisphere" in the settings of the script.
    As a result, Matte Object doesn't work.

I attach Test scene. It would be great if you could say me, what is wrong, and give some advise what I should change to make it work properly.

test_scene.zip
    Here is the result I get after swapping the HDRI environment and assigning the matte shader in the environment panel. I get identical results if I set the environment dome mode to "sphere".

result.jpg

Is this what you get, and not what you'd expect?

daniel
    iray dev

Quote Originally Posted by andreg View Post
    Is there any good tutorials on how to use matte objects correctly? Will matte objects be included in SP1 of 3ds Max?
    There's the post on the iray blog, which assumes the reader is already somewhat familiar with matte objects. I hope to make another, more detailed post that's more along the lines of a tutorial.

I'm afraid we can't make any statements with regards to the inclusion of features in 3ds max.

daniel
    iray dev

Quote Originally Posted by dlevesque View Post
    Here is the result I get after swapping the HDRI environment and assigning the matte shader in the environment panel. I get identical results if I set the environment dome mode to "sphere".

result.jpg

Is this what you get, and not what you'd expect?

daniel
    iray dev
    Thank's a lot! I've understood the problem whith the help of your scene.

Default Reflection and Tranparency with iray_enviroment

Here is a scene , in which I assigned the matte shader in the environment panel. There are 4 objects in this scene. The Transparent A&D Material is used for the first object, for the second it is A&D Material Chrome, but Reflection Glossines here is set to 0.99 (it is very important, because only with parameter Glossiness=1 chrome material works correctly). Pro-Material:Glazing is used for the third object and Autodesk Solid Glass with max reflectance for the fourth object.
    enviroment_dome_ADtransparency.jpg
    enviroment_dome_ADchrome_99.jpg
    enviroment_dome_ProMaterial.jpg
    enviroment_dome_ASolidGlass.jpg

As you can see, objects with A&D Materials work with transparency as if environment dome mode to "sphere" is not set. Materials Pro-material and Autodesk Solid glass work correctly. It is seen better at the transparent object.

How can I include environment dome mode in reflection and transparency?
    How can I make shadows of trasparent materials according to their transparency?

Here is a scene
    I attach scene

enviroment_dome_scene.zip

Angry Enviroment shadow mixer=0

I have one more question.
    Enviroment shadow mixer in Scene is 0. There is no light source in Scene. Why is the shadow seen in render and how can I remove it?
    enviroment_dome_shadow.jpg
    enviroment_dome_scene_shadow.zip

And another question with another scene: Why is the shadow seen in render, if I created light source and shadow are not assigned on?
    enviroment_dome_shadow2.jpg
    Last edited by Tengiz; May 16th, 2012 at 21:34.

Tengiz,

You found two limitations of the currently shipping version:

1. The dome projection is only taken into account for direct, transparent, and specular reflection paths. We've "fixed" this already but it was too late for inclusion into iray 2.1. Expect to see this in a future release of iray.

2. The matte shadows don't take into account transparency. While this is part of the design, there was no time to include it in this release. I hope to get this addressed once we do a pass of improvements on the matte objects.

daniel